FRENCH IN MOTION, FIRST TIME PARTNER WITH EXCLUSIVE IFP FILM WEEK NEW YORK 17-22 Sept 2016.
- For the first time, IFP Film Week, the only co-production market in the US welcomes a French partner to supply French-initiated international projects.
- Every year, only 150 candidates out of 2000 make through the highly demanding entry process, and have the chance to participate in the program.
- This year, 3 high-profile projects have been selected from French In Motion call-for-projects : 1 movie, 1 series, 1 short-form digital series.
- During 5 days, the team behind those projects (producers and talents), will attend the co-production market, and meet around fifty key-players in the American and international industry (financiers, producers, agents, broadcasters such as Amazon or HBO…), who can help their projects been financed and produced.
- Some of the most prominent names in independent cinema have gone through this program : The Coen brothers (Fargo, Big Lebowski), Todd Haynes (Carol), Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners), Dereck Cianfrance (Blue Valentine), Laura Poitras (Citizen Four)…
About the 3 projects selected:
- In the category of film : PANAMA AL BROWN. The extraordinary destiny of the first black world champion of boxing, a latino-American and friend of Josephine Baker, set in Paris during the Roaring Twenties. Betrayed, discounted, he loses his title before Jean Cocteau, touched by the journey of the “black marvel,” decides to become his coach and put him back in the ring. (Storner Prod) Producers : Jérôme Boucher, Pierre Garnier. Writer : Gregory Boutboul)
- In the category of series : BIG FUN. 1950, France is populated with American Military bases supposedly to prevent a Soviet strike. On the outskirts of a French city, Equirolles, live 2000 U.S. soldiers—and families—on the base “Grand Fons” a.k.a. “Big Fun.” Living side by side, yet worlds apart, tensions rise. Until a series of murders forces two men to work together making their worlds collide. (Calt Studios). Producer Xavier Matthieu. Auteurs : Vincent Poymiro, David Elkaim, Cyril Gely .
- In the category of web series : CORAL. Inspired by a true story. We follow Eugene, born Eugenia, one of the first transsexual criminals in Australia during the 1920s. Suspected of killing his wife, then caught by the authorities after having changed his identity multiple times and remarried, he is forced to confront the reality of his double prison: his jail cell and his woman’s body. (My Fantasy Productions)
Along its presence during the market, French In Motion in Partnership wih Unifrance, hosts on Sept 21rst a cocktail reception for 120 people including our French winners, American and international participants in IFP Film Week, and New York members of French in Motion.